Fireworks have long been mesmerising humankind for ages. They have been an essential part of a celebration, whether welcoming a new year, honouring a festive occasion, concluding a business event, or even just celebrating an anniversary or a birthday.
Today, there are various firework types available in the market, from firecrackers, smoke bombs, novelty, fountains, ground spinners, sparklers, and not to mention Roman candles. For the uninitiated, Roman candles are long tubes that shoot off colourful balls when lighted on one end.
In this article, we’ll share what you need to know about Roman candle fireworks and how to handle them properly.
What is a Roman candle?
Among various types of displays, a Roman candle is a classic example—literally and figuratively––because it has long been used as a firework display for numerous occasions. As mentioned above, it consists of a heavy gauge cardboard tube loaded with the shots, also known as “balls.” When the fuse at the end is lit, the candle shoots off the preloaded balls filled with colourful stars, whistles, and other amazing effects.
What type of candles are used
It’s worth knowing that Roman candles come in various shapes and sizes, as well as different shots and effects. As far length is concerned, they can be as short as a foot or as long as a yard. When it comes to the shots, they typically release a handful of balls ranging between five and ten shots. As for the effects, they display the likes of comets, screamers, and so much more.
What safety measures to set in place
Before we get into the actual set-up, let’s first discuss a few safety guidelines. Take note of the following:
- Purchase them from a reliable dealer.
- Keep them in a cool, dry place.
- Don’t carry them in your pockets.
- Do not mix them with alcohol.
- Don’t light them in your hand.
- Always keep your body parts away from the muzzle of any piece.
- Keep them away from pets and children.
- Don’t try to modify them or make your own.
- Read the labels and fire them properly.
How to set up and use Roman candles
Now, let’s get into the real deal of setting up and using the display. Here’s how to handle Roman candle fireworks:
Setting up Roman candles:
- Set them into a bucket of sand or the ground.
- Have a clear, open space to light.
- Set aside a hose, fire extinguisher, or water supply.
- Ensure your audience is a safe distance away.
- Keep them in their package until ready to use.
Using Roman candles:
- Wear safety glasses and gloves when lighting.
- Use a Phantom Pyro Torch or extended lighter to light.
- Use a flashlight at night to see the fuse.
- Move a safe distance away after lighting.
- Track the trajectory of the flight path.
- Never reuse a candle that fails to light the first time.
At this point, you now know what Roman candles entail. Likewise, be sure to follow the practical steps on how to handle them and follow the safety guidelines discussed above. Fireworks are indeed a great work of art, regardless of the type you’re using. Ultimately, they bring fantastic illumination and colourful displays for everyone to see and enjoy!
Are you looking for fireworks to buy? You’ve come to the right place, as we’ve been providing the best fireworks in the UK for over ten years. If you need a variety of displays for sale, browse our wide selection and place your order now!